Friday, March 11, 2011

Unexpected

Unexpected
8x8"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011 
sold

I was at the studio a few times this week and it felt great. I felt energized after my little trip and was ready to tackle an idea I've had in my head since last spring. I took several reference photos about a year ago when I was out plein air painting in the early morning hours on a weekend scrapbooking retreat... you can read about my adventures (or should I say misadventures) here. I used these reference photos for this weeks work. On this particular weekend last year the weather had warmed up and most of the snow had melted leaving lots of water behind in low spots. The reflection of the sky in these small bodies of water was spectacular. I was especially fascinated with this unexpected colour in the fields and grid roads. Vibrant blues were laying where they shouldn't be- within the golden yellows of the cut back crops and within in the dull brown dirt roads. I couldn't drink the scenery in fast enough. As you can see in "Unexpected", I loved how the dirt was so dark brown, almost black, closest to the puddle and then so much lighter further away. 

This is the first of four small paintings I did this week which may end up being studies for larger work. The next few posts will show you more of what I loved on that spring day in 2010.

7 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi NIcki,

I love this, and I too feel energized by the show in Ayr. It was a powerful experience.

XOBarbara

cohen labelle said...

Nicki, I love the feeling in this painting, it has a kind of wild beauty to it – you really captured something with this one.

Pierre Raby said...

This painting translates well these poetic wonders surrounding us in northern countries. Congratulations Nicki for your "In My Aura" painting!
Very interesting metaphorical narrative. Also, you are radiant in the picture. Have a wonderful weekend.
-Pierre

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,
Yes, I am ready to paint! Portraits are at the top of my mind... I just need to get some subject matter to practice with!



Thank you Marcia,
I had so much fun painting it and have three more to show, so stay tuned. I tries to keep the brushstrokes loose and the paint thick. I was trying to channel the Group of Seven after seeing their work at the AGO last weekend!


Hi Pierre,
So nice to see a message from you! Thank you for your kind words... yes, the beauty of the blues on the ground just captivated me when I was out in the country. I'm glad you think I have translated it well.
And thank you, I am so pleased I joined in on the IWC! collaboration and equally as glad I didn't embarrass myself with the painting I created! The portrait, quite conceivably, could have gone very badly! :o)


Thanks everyone,
Nicki

Nicki said...

Thanks Skizo!

suzanneberry said...

this is lovely nicki!

Nicki said...

Thanks Suzanne!