Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Day- Finished

Spring Day in Saskatchewan
8 x 8"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011

I spent more time on this today and I think it is finished. My photo could be a bit dark on the right hand side, but this is a fair representation of where it ended up. I like it. I tried to keep the snowflakes random and with slight variation in size. I like it more with the snowflakes than before I put them in, but never-the-less I do have a bit of a fear that they make the painting a bit "cute". I need to sleep on it... and get some feedback from my oh, so wise peanut gallery! ;o)

7 comments:

Judy Adamson said...

I like it a lot! And you've easily managed to avoid 'cute', which I know from experience can be a trap to fall into if we're not careful!

I think it's one of my favourites, Nicki! (I hesitate to say this but it would make an 'art' Christmas card that I'd love to receive!)

Judy Wood said...

Don't worry on the "cuteness" front--not a factor here. I like the patterning and liveliness the snowflakes add to whole.

Nicki said...

Hi Judy A.,

Wow, possibly one of your favorites! Great! And I am glad that you don't feel it comes across as cute. I like your Christmas card idea... I'll have to keep it in mind.

N.



Hi Judy W.,

Thank you for your feedback on the snowflakes. When I compare the before and after I really feel like they add some energy to the painting as well.

Nicki

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

The snowflakes are like the highlights. The somber, muted background and trees get the lift that snow really does give a grey landscape from the snow. Not cute. True.

XOBarbara

Nicki said...

Thank you Barbara, I like your comment. It is true that snowflakes can make an otherwise gloomy scene a bit more bright.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Nicki XO

Unknown said...

Hi Nicki,
I agree with what Barbara said: without the snowflakes, the painting would be dark - the snowflakes give it the pizaz.
btw, my name is Barbara also - kindred souls???
cheers,
barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to leave a comment. I think the snowflakes add a little zip to the overall feel, too.

You'd like Barbara!

Nicki