Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A Win at The Mann!


Rustle
40x30"
acrylic and oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017
available


I made the announcement on Facebook and Instagram, but I realized I forgot to share the news here on my blog. My painting, "Rustle", won the Hues Art Supply Award at the Mann Art Gallery 42nd Annual Winter Festival Art Show and Sale!!! It was a great surprise and not only did I win the honour, but I also left with a cash prize!

 "Rustle" in its surroundings
photo © Nicki Ault, 2018

The opening reception was a fun night with a large crowd, great art, yummy food and live music. Apparently this year had the most submissions of any of the forty-two years so far: 243 pieces of art! I am quite thrilled that guest curator, Carole Epp, selected "Rustle" for an award.

my painting "Last Phase, Saskatchewan Afternoon"
curated with other submissions
photo © Nicki Ault, 2018

I was my own date for the night, but I knew lots of people when I got there. The drive to the show was peaceful and I was gifted with a breathtaking sunset. At one point, with the sun very low in the sky on the west side of the van, the snow on the east side was glowing the most warm and beautiful peach colour! I stopped a couple of times for photos and tried to memorize the rest. I was nervous about the dark highway drive back to Saskatoon, but the roads were dry and clear, plus after winning an award I wasn't tired at all. I think I sang all the way home!

No comments: