Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Woods

The Woods
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
 © Nicki Ault, 2017
available at Assiniboia Gallery in Regina


This was created en plein air last month when I went for a two night painting retreat up north. Usually in September I take a weekend and help clean up my parents cabin for the winter and do a little painting, but this year the cabin was closed a bit early so I was unable to use it. A few years ago I had heard about a place that sounded great near Christopher and Emma Lakes - Flora Bora Forest Lodging - so I phoned and left a message to see if there was any availability. She called back later that afternoon to say that right after I left my message, someone else called and cancelled for the two nights I wanted! Done and done!

So what is this place, you ask? Yurts!!! In the forest! There are two of them and, although they are not far from each other or civilization itself, they felt very secluded. I loved my yurt and my fire pit area and my hammocks. The trail through the forest on the property was gorgeous; the light coming through the trees on the first morning was glorious, especially with the yellows, golds, oranges and reds of the fall leaves. The property is nestled on the edge of Tuddles Lake, so there is a dock and canoes to use.

Me and my yurt! 
Look at it glow like the little piece of heaven that it is!
© Nicki Ault, 2017

Each yurt can sleep four with a queen bed and a pull out couch, but personally I think that would be a bit tight for four adults. It would be so much fun to rent both yurts and go up with three other people to paint and explore. Maybe next year. I know for sure I will go again. And again. And again!

inside my yurt 
(behind the kitchenette wall is the washroom)
© Nicki Ault, 2017

nighttime at my yurt
© Nicki Ault, 2017

not a bad fire for a city girl!
© Nicki Ault, 2017

painting "The Woods" in the woods
© Nicki Ault, 2017

Flora Bora
© Nicki Ault, 2017

No comments: