Friday, October 20, 2017

May I Introduce To You, Laura Payne!

Hex XX
© Laura Payne, 2016

Not only do I love making art, I love collecting it! And not only do I love collecting it, but I love taking a break from blathering on about myself, *yawn*, to tell you about other artists! I am absolutely ecstatic that this summer I took some of my personal savings (set aside specifically for art) and purchased this stunning creation by Laura Payne. The photo I took doesn't show it, but you can tell by the shadow that it is three dimensional.

Laura is just the loveliest person and I have had the pleasure of getting to know her since she began working at Darrell Bell Gallery. Every interaction with her is delightful and I always enjoy seeing her when I stop in. I knew her for a little while before I realized that she was also an artist. I remember one time Darrell made a joke about Laura's love for stripes and I thought that was kind of cool because a little known fact about me is that I totally love stripes, but then I saw some of her artwork and I realized he was referring to what she creates not necessarily fashion! I knew the minute I saw her work that someday I would find a way to buy a piece and I always thought it would be a striped piece, but when I saw the above creation, "Hex XX", I knew it was mine.

 
© Laura Payne

Laura has had an extremely exciting 2017. Her striking work of art, Enneadec II, was short-listed as one of fifteen finalists in the 19th Annual RBC Emerging Artist Painting Competition. This is a huge and coveted honour. There were 682 applications made to the competition this year! You can see Laura's submission as well as the other fourteen finalists at this link.


© Laura Payne

Laura earned her BFA at Western University (2010) and her MFA at Maryland Institute College of Art (2013). She currently lives in Saskatoon where she works at Darrell Bell Gallery and creates in her home studio.

© Laura Payne

If you happen to be in Saskatoon this weekend or over the next few weeks, stop in to see Laura's work at Darrell Bell Gallery where there is currently a show of modern art installed. You will find Laura's exceptional work at the front of the street level gallery and a spectacular exhibition of Eli Bornstein's work in the fourth floor gallery space (Canada Building, 21st Street). This is all coinciding with the exciting opening of the Remai Modern in Saskatoon this weekend!

© Laura Payne

Another super cool development is that Laura's work recently captured the attention of Danielle Krysa who is the well known art blogger of "The Jealous Curator" and author of the book "Your Inner Critic Is A Big Jerk" (which I own because I wanted to come to terms with my inner critic who is a real jackass). Check out this post about Laura on her blog!

© Laura Payne

There is something in my gut that says Laura is one to watch. Unfortunately my photos do not do her art justice, but hopefully they have you intrigued enough to click the links- especially to her website - where she has better images. In person, they are something to behold. This young woman is on her way! 

No comments: