New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Soft Prairie Days

Soft Prairie Days
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2016
sold

I was at the studio on Sunday afternoon while my son was at football practice. I had just enough time to experiment on another small board, but when it was time to clean my brushes I looked objectively at my results and the reality of what had materialized did not match the vision in my mind. What I envisioned was another fun, flirty, dancy autumn scene; what I got was a piece o' _____ (fill in the blank). I left the studio thinking that maybe I would feel differently when I saw it with fresh eyes the next morning.

Nope. 

What I realized, however, was that the whole thing was perhaps not utter garbage. I liked the top half, it was the bottom half that didn't work. At. All. This is where a highly useful painting technique comes in handy: The Wipe. I took my lint-free rag and went to town on the lower portion of the board. It looked better immediately! I reworked things and now the painting seems cohesive and like the parts belong together. I am happy with what has turned out to be a soft, calm prairie scene.

No comments: