New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Fall Tangle

Fall Tangle
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2016

A day at the studio was just what the doctor ordered. 

I worked out some ideas on my little 6x6's, all the while thinking about how I would tackle a similar subject on a larger scale. I have had something on the tip of my tongue for about three years now; something I want to say with paint but I just haven't been able to get there. I am not sure what the block is or why I am having such difficulty. I guess, if I were honest with myself, fear has something to do with it. 

After spending time at Bridget's acreage on Monday things came into clearer focus and I got back in touch with this idea that has been brewing for these last few years. Ultimately it is the feeling I have when I am out in the natural landscape that I want to express on canvas. Although I have done this to an extent in my past paintings, I have not managed to push myself as far as I truly want to go with it. I think I become too distracted by the subject that I forget about the more abstract idea of the feeling

Today was a good start to moving paint around again and loosely using my photos as reference to create studies for some new ideas.

No comments: