Saturday, November 10, 2012

Another "Meewasin" Underway

Stage two - in the studio

Stage four - in the school gym

I can't get enough of the Meewasin Valley! I pondered my reference photos for two years and once I finally painted "Good Morning Meewasin" this spring I haven't been able to stop imagining more canvases with this subject. This particular morning in 2010 was absolutely glorious. I dropped my boys off at school and immediately had to drive to the river to take photos. It was a calm, clear morning and the low-rising October sun was catching the tops of the autumn foliage. It was stunning. Thank goodness I (almost) always carry my camera with me.

This painting began at the studio last week. First I put some acrylic washes down (stage one- no photo) and began laying out the composition in acrylic (stage two- top photo). The next stage was getting some of the darks put down in oil and making some of the areas more specific (stage three- no photo). I am now at stage four (above) which developed at the school gym the other night when I was invited to set up my easel and paint at an art-related fundraising event. It was lots of fun and between chatting with children and parents I was actually able to get a bit of work done.

I am anxious for tomorrow arrive because I will be able to work on this for another four hours. Could there be anything better than painting in the studio on a blustery November afternoon?

No comments: