Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Light Show and In Full Bloom

Light Show
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2019
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

This was my first attempt at the Northern Lights! I have seen them several times up at the lake and a couple of times in town, but the city lights make them hard to see. I remember years ago at the lake they were absolutely spectacular! I went with my memory of that night to create this image. Unfortunately the green and purple colours in the sky were difficult to photograph.

In Full Bloom
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2019
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

I took my resource photo for this painting early last July. I finally got around to making an attempt at it and I am thrilled with the results. Flax can be elusive to find and it is even harder to paint because it can look like water in the field. Working up the purple, blue and periwinkle colours in layers helped me get the effect I was looking for.

I am thrilled to say that both of these paintings sold very quickly once they got to Darrell Bell Gallery.

No comments: