Monday, April 15, 2019

Faux Island at Paignton and Makeover Monday!

Faux Island at Paignton
(after)
12 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2019
sold

Last November, as I was organizing and hanging paintings in my studio space for Open Studio, I came to a realization... I had gone through a "blue" period! Until then I was completely oblivious to how much blue existed in my recent work, but it became rather apparent as I tried to hang the paintings as a group. I ended up bringing some art from home to break up the sea of ultramarine! 

That discovery led me to revisit this painting. I quite liked the "before". I had actually painted the day as it was, I remember it clearly. I had taken my sons out to the beach at the Narrows in Waskesiu to try out the new dingy one of them received for Christmas. It was a very blue day; the water, the sky, even the air felt blue, but I became curious about taking a different approach to the sky. I ended up creating a dusky atmosphere and I toned down the aqua hues in the distant water. This late-day light meant I added some warmer tones to the trees and horizon line. Small changes, but effective. 

Happily this revised painting sold last week as a gift to commemorate a special birthday!

Faux Island at Paignton
(before)
12 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

A glorious painting before and after, and I'm so glad it sold. I've been in a "blue" period for quite a while, and I feel very happy there. Love everything you do.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

One of my grandma's favourite colours was blue, so I come by my attraction to it honestly.