Monday, February 25, 2019

Saskatchewan: The Height of Summer and Makeover Monday!

Saskatchewan: The Height of Summer
(after)
12 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2019
sold at Assiniboia Gallery

I have two paintings at the studio from late 2017 that I have been rethinking. Both of them happen to be on reeeaaally rectangular canvases (12x36). I prefer painting on a square format so these were bought as a challenge to myself. Recently, after much consideration, I decided to drop the horizon to create a sense of a bigger sky above. I also changed the field colour from a bright green-yellow to a more earthy yellow. I then did a few things to give more dimension to the clouds.

It now feels like what I was originally going for.

Saskatchewan: The Height of Summer
(before)
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017

Next week I may have the second painting revamped for you.

No comments: