Monday, November 19, 2018

Severe Weather Warning (Again) and Makeover Monday!

Severe Weather Warning
(after)
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2018
available 

This is the third and final redo on this painting. I first reworked it this spring when I decided the field was a bit too bright. I felt better about it, but ultimately, as I lived with this updated version, the sky didn't have the presence I felt it should have for a painting called "Severe Weather Warning". A couple of weeks ago, as I was puttering around trying to decide what to paint, I realized the horizon line on this one needed to drop down so the sky would feel more ominous. I also darkened the distant sky to add to the feeling of an impending storm and to create more depth to the piece. This is the final incarnation of "Severe Weather Warning". This is where the buck stops. It will not change again. 

Below you will find the first "makeover" and then the original painting:

Severe Weather Warning
(after first makeover)

Severe Weather Warning
(original)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: