Thursday, June 7, 2018

Ancient Forest

Ancient Forest
40 x 60"
acrylic and oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2018
sold at Assiniboia Gallery

The day has come, my solo show "Mood" opens today at Assiniboia Gallery! Shortly after I hit "publish" on this blog post I will be packing my van and starting my drive to Regina. I am so looking forward to the opening reception this evening (5-8 pm), although I know I will have butterflies and sweaty palms at the start. I am excited to meet new people and spend time with the gallery staff. They have all been so good to me. I hope they know how much I appreciate their enthusiasm and efforts, as they have been introducing my work to a whole new market.

This painting is the largest piece in the show and only the second time I have ever attempted a painting this size. There are many, many layers of acrylic underneath and then layers of oil paint on top, although the oil paint does not cover everything. A lot of the colorful, distant trees in the background are the acrylic layers showing through, as are areas of the reflection. It was all a bit of an experiment, although a couple of other paintings in the show were done in a somewhat similar fashion. Similar but different. "Ancient Forest" is painted from a photo I took on Sulphide Lake in 2013 when I went on a painting and canoeing adventure in northern Saskatchewan.

"Ancient Forest" has big impact, so I am very curious to see where it is placed within the show. I have never seen a collection of my work completely framed and presented so professionally. This just really feels like a huge milestone. I can hardly wait! I hope I don't get a speeding ticket on my way to Regina! Please join me at the reception if you can... and bring a friend.




No comments: