Monday, June 5, 2017

Last Beach Day, Waskesiu (Painting Makeover)

Last Beach Day, Waskesiu
(after)
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2017
available


Last Beach Day, Waskesiu
(before)
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2014
 
As I go through this process of reworking old paintings, I have had many "What the bleeeep were you thinking?" moments. And while some of these old pieces have intrigued me enough to revisit them, there is a pile of work that I have no plan to repaint, rework or remake- those pieces are headed for the chipper. I would like to think I am a human with generally good taste, but apparently my eyes can be blind to my own work at times. Just wait until you see the doozy I have for you next week!

This particular painting was done on a Cadmium Orange ground so that colour pops through, which I like, but in hindsight it tinged the original painting a bit too much. Basically the makeover has softened everything up, but still leaves some pops of orange coming through which adds a bit of energy. The composition remains a bit awkward with the trees at the edge of the beach and the angles of the water, but whatevs, this makeover only went so far.

4 comments:

Robyn Rennie said...

I disagree- I think the composition is just fine. I love the makeover!

Barbara Muir said...

Love this. You are way too hard on yourself. I think our vision refines over time, even with the same work. One thing we get is distance. And that frees us up to just see, instead of trying to be accurate with what we were painting. This is always a good thing I think.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Robyn, I am so glad you think the composition is okay... and also that you like my changes. Thank you!

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara, yes, I am hard on myself, but I really want to be good at what I do. I need to cut myself some slack on past work because if all goes well and I am growing, what I did back then is not what I would do now. Yes, time gives us the distance we need to see work in a new light. It is a good thing.

XO Nicki