Thursday, April 27, 2017

One Fine Day (Painting Makeover)

One Fine Day
(after)
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2017
available


I am trying to get caught up with the Makeover Mondays I do on my Instagram page. I think after today I should be back on track.

This simple, fresh sky is the remade "after" version of the below painting from 2015...

One Fine Day
(before)
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2015

Aside from being irritated by the dark "stripe" of deeper blue at the top of the original painting, there were many areas where a lot of the panel showed through (it is difficult to see in the photo). While I do like that effect in small amounts, in this case there was so much board showing that I think the painting looked unfinished. Another little change is that I beefed up the clouds a bit.

I would say this is a quirky painting. I had the urge to paint a tiny red barn on the horizon as I made it over! I feel like it needs something else, but probably not adding a red barn was a good call!


No comments: