Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Strange Land

Strange Land
36 x 30"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2014
sold

This is the large sky that morphed from the little study "It Poured". It became a sky from a strange land.

The journey continues as I try to get my head in the game and use the info I am gathering from Atelier 2302. As much as I seem to understand the concepts when I am at school, I forget them all when I am at the studio and I just go back to painting my usual way. Perhaps my struggles as I perceive them are because I am still in the drawing program at the Atelier; maybe when I start the painting program it will all come together in a flash! Oooooorrrrr... perhaps you can't actually teach an old dog new tricks. I fear that may be the case! There is so much to think about: hue, value, chroma, edges, shapes, balance, proportion, harmony, pacing, patterns, contrast and keying to name a few. Ugh. It was easier when I was blissfully unaware!

We had an amazing inaugural Open Studio on Sunday. Thank you to all who came by to visit and buy original art. There is no way to have kept count of the numbers of people who stopped in- there were hundreds. I think it is safe to say that our new location was a hit and many people left very impressed. I am excited to plan another event for the new year!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I am actually scared of what will happen when you are in the painting program because you are a Genius right now! I would hate to see your style changed, made more like someone else's hampered by rules that should stay a million miles away from your work.

Stay you! You are the star, not these classes. Beware. Beautiful work.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

I love this comment. Thank you Barbara. I will be careful- I want to learn and grow, but still paint like me. It's a tricky balance.

You are the best.

XOX
Nicki