Sunday, January 19, 2014

Studio Time And "Out The Blue" Opening


I have had a bit of a dry spell since moving to the temporary studio in late November. Other than producing a few small pieces for Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery, I have painted zilch. The conditions at the studio were a bit extreme for a good chunk of December; no heat and -40 degree Celcius does not make for ideal painting circumstances. Aside from that I was busy with home renos, the craziness of the holidays, illness (both me then my son) and serious winter malaise. Here we are past the middle of January and I am finally starting to feel motivated again. I was at the studio this week easing into things by doing odd jobs: wiring, painting edges, varnishing and tidying. By Friday I was in the mood to start a new project and began feeling excited about other projects I have in mind. What a treat to feel this way again!

I went to the studio yesterday and got to work on a 30 x 30" canvas. Above you see the "under-painting" and no, it is not the start of an abstract! When I left for the day the composition was taking shape and I woke up early this morning thinking about it. There was no way I was going to fall back asleep, so I got up and went to the studio. I did not take into account, however, that the sun had not risen and since the lights don't work in my part of the studio, it was very dark. Thanks to the myriad of extension cords which get the space heaters going, I was able to rig up a spotlight and get to work. Ooooh it felt good. The painting looks way different now than what you see here. Hint: it is a piece that will join my Georgian Bay series.


Tonight is the opening of "Out the Blue" at Prairie Star Gallery and I am so looking forward to enjoying a night with my art friends. I am anxious to see how my two paintings, "Breaking Free" and "Incredible Lightness", look in the space and with the rest of the work. Gallery hours are limited and can be found on this poster. Thanks to Kim Ennis for inviting me to be part of this show, I am honoured to be included!

4 comments:

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Glad to know i wasn't the only one with a dry spell. Tough winter. Congrats on getting you muse back! (:

Barbara Muir said...

Congratulations Nicki on the show opening. I cannot imagine painting in such temperatures. Can't wait to see what this is and love the two for the Out of the Blue.

You are so amazing.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

It has been a tough winter Monika, sorry to hear you have felt a dry spell too. Your work is so beautiful and you have been working so hard, I have no doubt that you needed a break. When inspiration strikes you will be back and better than ever!

Nicki said...

Thank you sweet Barbara! Yes, this painting has changed a bunch and may surprise you when the final image is posted. Take care,

XXOO Nicki