Thursday, November 25, 2010

River Fire

River Fire
4.75 x 4.75"
acrylic on paper
© Nicki Ault, 2010 
private collection

In my previous couple of posts you saw the series of three abstract reflections that I painted for a housewarming gift for a dear friend. I painted three others around the same time and "River Fire" is one of them. I think it is my favorite of all six - not sure why, maybe just because it is quite different from any other reflection I have done. The darkest marks you see are more purpley than they come across on the screen. I am pleased with the energy in this one. I put it in a black frame today and it looks great! Really dramatic.

It has a been a crazy few weeks getting ready for all of the art events that are happening right away. Tomorrow is the opening of the small works juried show called "Little Gems" in which I have three paintings. There are about 40 local artists participating and it is a fundraiser for the Food Bank. Then on Sunday it is our Open Studio, so I have been madly wiring, hanging, organizing, tweaking, varnishing, framing for that. I will have photos to show you of my space soon. I'm very excited to be a part of this- it's like a dream come true! A reporter and cameraman came today from Shaw TV Channel 10, so tomorrow a short piece will run approx. every 45 minutes in a continuous loop throughout the day.

I will quickly sigh with relief after the weekend, but then I will have a shot of espresso and start pulling together work for my solo show at Moka which goes up Dec. 8!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I love this, and opened it up to look at for a long time when I got home from school today. It was such a pleasure to lose myself in your paint.

Wonderful. Art seems to have its very busy times, and then long lulls. This is definitely a busy one for you, and for many of us.

I wish you great fun, and success. But you already have the success,
and your blog is fun, so I'm sure you have that too.

XOBarbara

Nicki said...

Thank you Barbara! I am really looking forward to tomorrow, but I will sigh with relief when it is over. It has been a lot of work pulling it all together. I can't believe I have about 50 paintings to display.

Take care,

Nicki XO