Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Good News

Cool Blue Sky
7x7
acylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2008

I have shown you these three paintings before, but I am doing so again because recently I decided to submit them to a "small works" juried art show. It is taking place the same weekend (Nov. 27,28) as the Open Studio, so it will be busy, but I decided I wanted to be part of it because it is a fundraiser for the Food Bank. And you never know what a little extra exposure could do. Anyway, I was allowed to submit three pieces and all three were accepted! I guess there will be about 40 artists participating and I am sure all of the work will be quite varied.   

Out On Valley Road
10x10
acrylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2010
private collection

At the end of the summer, I was disappointed to receive a rejection letter from a public gallery in town, but I will try again. In hindsight I think my proposal was lame and that I didn't receive the best advice in how to write it. Proposals are not something I know much about and I think I need to learn how to play the game with a bit more of the artsy lingo.

  Spring On Janzen Road
10x10"
acrylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2010
sold

At any rate, I am pleased to have had success with this application and hope the show raises lots of money for the Food Bank.

7 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

Congratulations. Oh artsy lingo. I do know what you mean. I used to write for an art magazine, but it's amazing how quickly you forget that specific style when you aren't doing it anymore. In Europe they want meaning. What do Canadians want? The truth is that artists are just happy putterers messing with colour and light and having a wonderful time. That should be enough, but it isn't. Love these paintings and all the rest.

XOBarbara

Linda Popple said...

Great paintings!

Unknown said...

Hi Nicki, I love the abstract feel of your preliminary paintings. Lots of people work hard to paint just like that.

Judy Adamson said...

Congratulations, Nicki!

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Yes, I think I need to get more of a game on in my next proposal. I have to learn some art speak and perhaps learn how to BS a bit better! You are right, I am happy to muck about and I have never bothered to find some deep meaning in the work I do.

Nicki XO


Hi Linda,

Thanks and nice to hear from you.

Nicki


Deborah! How are you! Looks like you have been busy with your polymer. You sound so happy with the playing you have been doing.

Nicki


Thanks Judy!

Anonymous said...

hey Nicki, your own style is really showing through in these three and congratulations on the acceptance for the show:) admire your positivity... you can't keep a good artist down nor stop them knocking on places they are determined to reach;)

Nicki said...

Hi Rahina,

How great that you see a style emerging in these. I hope that the more I paint the more a personal style will reveal itself, no matter what the subject.

Yes, giving up isn't an option. The rejection certainly made me question myself (because I have seen some crap in this gallery before and I was thinking, "They made it and I didn't... what does that say about my work!") And it also didn't help my confidence when I told another artist (who had a show coming up at this particular gallery) and she said, "Well, maybe they are just looking for a certain caliber". I was sad and disappointed, but then my response in the end has been "I'll show them!"

Thanks for your kind words,

Nicki