Friday, October 2, 2009

Cool Blue Sky


acrylic on canvas
7x7
I did this painting last year at Emma Lake and I like the freshness of it, the movements of the clouds and the subtle colours in the clouds (yellow, green, brown, mauve) which my not come through on a computer screen. I also like the little skiff of blue along the very bottom indicating the lake.

The last several times I have been at the studio I have been listening to a CD I bought at Starbuck's of Paul Simon's greatest hits. I didn't realize how many songs I really liked of his... the whole CD is good. As I have been painting I've taken the time to listen to the lyrics and man, what stories they tell! As "Slip Slidin' Away" was pumping a few lines caught my attention and, although in reality the words are describing a male/female relationship, it immediately made me think of how I have handled (or maybe not handled) my feelings and commitment to my little boys. Here are the two lines that made me stop in my tracks:

"My love for you is so overpowering
I'm afraid that I will disappear"

Whew, that got me. It sums up in a tidy little package everything I have been feeling since I became a mom... and more specifically a stay-at-home mom. And now I am on this quest to make sure I don't disappear.

6 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

This is so weird. For the longest times I've been making my own CDs on the computer with all kinds of songs, but two days ago, I found my Paul Simon CD of Graceland, and I've been listening to it in the car non-stop as I drive to school and back. I love his lyrics.

Love the painting too.

Take care,

Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

That is very weird! Very. Usually I can be found listening to Michael Buble, Duffy, Blue Rodeo, or Tom Petty, but when I saw the CD I thought it could be enjoyable to paint to and now that is the first one I grab when I am at the studio. You could be driving home from work at the end of the day listening to your CD at the exact same time I am listening to Paul Simon at the studio in the afternoon here.... the time difference would work out that way!

Crazy world!

Take care,

Nicki

Anonymous said...

this is one of those paintings that just seemed to capture a moment simply and honestly... don't listen to those Paul Simon lyrics, your love for your kids is natural and you are painting... if you weren't painting, you might disappear under the title 'mum' but you are expressing yourself in something you love doing so just watch you don't disappear into your love for painting:)

Nicki said...

Thanks Rahina, that is exactly the feeling I hope this painting imparts... something simple and honest, cool and wistful, fresh and familiar.

As for the lyrics, when I listened to them they didn't affect me the way they might have, say two years ago if I had listened to them, but they did surprise me with the clarity of emotion in so few words. You are right, now that I am painting again I am not disappearing under the "mom" title in the same way I might have felt before. And no matter what, my children are always first priority, which is the way it should be.

Thanks for your words,
Nicki :)

Linny D. Vine said...

This painting feels good! It says freedom; not a care in the world and no commitments or responsibilities.

Nicki said...

Hi Linny,

Nice to meet you and thank you for coming to look at my blog. I'm so glad this painting comes across that way to you. I worried that it was too simple, but maybe that simplicity is its charm? I'm glad it feels good to you anyway.

All the best,
Nicki