Friday, August 21, 2009

Paint and Preciousness

Today I went to the studio (I sublet a corner of another artist's space) to work on a painting. I've been working on this one for a while now... an abstract that is inspired by a river's reflection/surface. I've been a huge fan of reflections for a year or so now... maybe longer. I can't seem to get enough of them. By the end of the session I think I was finally starting to see on the canvas what I envisioned in my mind. There is still work to do on it, but I am feeling closer. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to pick Tommy up from my sister's. The time melts away when I am painting... I was there for 3 hours (which is a rarity), but it seemed like 2o minutes. I don't know what I think of for that length of time. It is like meditation. I was listening to music; enjoying the lyrics of some of Paul Simon's classics and Jann Arden's greatest hits. Next thing I knew I had to get my brushes washed and palette put away.

I am still trying to get comfortable with calling myself an artist even though I know it has been part of who I am from almost as far back as I can remember. I have acknowledged the creative side of myself on and off my whole life, but as I enter this journey of digging deep into who I really am, I think I already know that the creative side of me is essential and I must never allow it to take the backseat again.

Over to the other side of my life... my precious seven year old Sammy gave me the biggest hug before bed this evening and said to me, "Mommy, you are the best cuddler in the family. You are the perfect shape and size to snuggle." Ahhh, that extra 10 pounds I've been packing is appreciated after all!

No comments: