Saturday, December 30, 2017

Saskatoon Sunset, December 16, 2017

Saskatoon Sunset, December 16, 2017
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

Merry belated Christmas!!! I have been resting and hunkered down trying to get through this unbelievable cold snap we are going through. Saskatchewan is half-way through a two week long Polar Vortex.

As I write this the Weather Network has Saskatoon in an "Extreme Cold Warning". We are sitting at -35 Degrees Celcius which they say with the wind, feels like -45. It was colder than that through the night, somewhere around -50. Brrr.

It seemed apropos that I post the one wintry scene I have painted so far this year which was delivered to Darrell Bell Gallery right before Christmas. I was on my way to the studio at about 5:00 p.m. on December 16th when the beauty of the setting sun beyond the river stopped me in my tracks. I immediately took a detour to grab some photos and then worked on this scene as soon as I arrived at the studio about a half hour later. The reflection in the unfrozen half of the river was clear and striking; it was fun to try to get it down in paint.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love it. I love how you capture light and mood. Amazing.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Light and mood are my favourite thing right now. :)