Monday, December 4, 2017

East End, King's Island - Painting Makeover

East End, King's Island, Waskesiu
(after)
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

Guess what?! 

I took the weekend off! I didn't go back to the studio once this weekend after I left on Friday afternoon. Well, I realize looking back that I spent about five hours at home on Sunday editing photos, doing paperwork, organizing files, recording receipts, emailing and the like, so technically I didn't take the weekend off, but compared to the last four months, it felt like it.

Anyhoo, here is a recent "Painting Makeover" on a painting from a year ago. Not gigantic changes, but I believe the revisions make it a better painting. One thing I think adds a lot is the reflection of the rocks in the water. I lightened up the sky and changed the colour of the distant horizon. Among the other changes, I am now much happier with this painting. It feels fresh and sunny- like a beautiful day to be out in the boat and exploring the island. I hope someone who loves Waskesiu Lake, finds this at the "Holiday Salon" where it is hanging and available at Darrell Bell Gallery. King's Island is the only island on Waskesiu Lake and is named for Mackenzie King who was the Canadian Prime Minister who established Prince Albert National Park in 1927.

East End, King's Island
(before)
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel, 2016
© Nicki Ault, 2017

I "googled" King's Island and have learned that it was originally known in the area as Devil's Island because according to Cree legend was inhabited by supernatural creatures! I had never heard that before, but now I want to know more! Also, I have always called it King's Island, but it seems it is actually King Island with no " 's".


2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love it. Both before and after. It's hard to explain to people who don't paint that you could almost always keep on going with a painting. This is marvellous.


XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

It is hard to ever truly be done, but we must or it would just feel like "Groundhog Day"! :D