Thursday, November 23, 2017

Beyond

Beyond
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2017
available

Sometimes sunsets are not spectacular, but they can still be brilliant, with the sun setting beyond the clouds creating a beautiful backlight that reflects and shimmers on the water.

Speaking of "beyond", I am beyond grateful for the amazing support I have received this year in all things art related in my life: shows attended, purchases made, posts liked, commissions commissioned, blog stories read, Instagram followed, Facebook shared, and comments made. You have no idea how all of these things keep me motivated and how I strive to do better and better so that the time you spend joining me on this journey does not feel wasted. Is it weird that I want you to be proud of me? Or at the very least, not bored by me? Let me answer that- yes, maybe a little weird, but it's true, so I'm okay with that.

Our big Open Studio was a wonderful event despite it probably being the worst day we could have chosen. We picked the date in the spring and, for various reasons, we chose the second last Sunday in November rather than the last Sunday as we had in other years. It turned out it was the day of the Santa parade, the Nutcracker ballet matinee, a race with a the closure of the Broadway bridge and our CFL team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, actually made the semi-finals this year and the game was at noon! Yeesh. It is beyond miraculous that anyone showed up!

I had a record breaking day, beyond my expectations, with my 6x6 paintings- eighteen of them finding their forever homes, and many of them with shadow boxes, so props to my dad for helping me get those done. I sold a big painting which was emotional for me, not because the painting was leaving me, but because the lovely woman who purchased it did so with an inheritance she had received. She wanted to do something long-lasting and special with the money, and she chose one of my paintings. Cue the tears. It touched my heart immensely. I also sold a painting via Facebook during, and unrelated to, the Open Studio which was rather exciting; my new piece "Keep Me Where The Light Is" is going to the home of a diplomat! A Canadian Ambassador if you will!!! Crazy! And I sort of sold another painting (it's on hold), but I am waffling on letting it go (I may want to keep it), in which case they will commission me for a piece anyway, so it's all good.

It was exciting to see the 6x6's fly out of the studio... eight of nine brand new pieces, not even posted, are gone and only "Beyond" remains... so let me know if it would make a good Christmas present for anyone. I have two more, even newer, 6x6 paintings to post soon that are still available... both of them starry night skies, so stay tuned.

 © Nicki Ault, 2017

What I feel is beyond words. I don't say that lightly. I really mean it. I may actually be teary and emotional until the new year. I love painting. I love painting. I LOVE painting. And I can't believe that is what I am doing with my life.

 Thank you!

No comments: