Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Drive North At Dusk

Drive North At Dusk
6 x 6"
oil on board

It has been a long winter. Maybe not as long as last year, but long none-the-less. We here on the prairies are a hardy bunch, but we DO have a breaking point. It is the point where we are so glad we can see the sunlight before nine a.m. and after five p.m., but we are so not cool with -30 degree temperatures anymore. We are over winter right about now therefore I needed to paint an image of the things of which dreams are made: driving to the lake right after work ready to start the weekend. Sigh. That Friday drive- you know the one- late afternoon, traffic may be a struggle but when the treeline changes and the Spruce and Poplar become more abundant than the towns and farmland, well, that my friends is a breaking point with which I can get on board.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi NIcki,

I can sure get on board with this beauty, and I know just what you mean. I remember that long drive to the cottage when I was a little girl, and the moment when we'd stop at an icecream stand and then suddenly smell the pines. The dogs ears would perk up, the cat would get restless, and suddenly we were going down the windy road to the cottage, the car doors sprang open and we were at the lake.

This painting brings that all back to me.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Yes Barbara- that is exactly it! Bang on!

Hugs to you,
Nicki