Saturday, July 12, 2014

Wind and Whitecaps, Waskeisu

Wind and Whitecaps, Waskesiu
6 x 6"
oil on board

I brought my boys and paint supplies up to the lake the other day. Waskesiu is where I spent my summers growing up and it is really quite captivating watching my kids develop a love for the place. They are so free-spirited up here; the townsite/park is their backyard and they can explore freely without me feeling the need to hover and check on them constantly. I have come along way as a helicopter mom... which is kind of my generation. I am more and more of the opinion that we don't give our kids enough credit and they are capable of much more than we think. At any rate, up here at the lake we all relax a bunch and the rules loosen up. I think it feels good for all of us.

We have been here for a few days and I had planned to paint each day, but procrastination got the best of me and then when I finally got ready to paint last night, with the encouragement from a friend, a storm blew threw and the power went out leaving us in the dark for a few hours. By the time the lights were back on the mood to paint had passed and I just went to bed. Today, however, I was on a mission to get something done. The wind was blowing hard across the lake, many trees came down in the last 24 hours and the water was absolutely rolling! It sounded like the ocean. Waves were crashing over the breakwater near the main beach, but it wasn't really stormy anymore. The water was a wild green/yellow colour. The sky was slightly cloudy and also hazy due to the forest fires further north, but overall it looked quite calm juxtaposed against the "surf". 

No comments: