Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Early Morning, Late September- Meewasin

Early Morning, Late September- Meewasin
36 x 60"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2014
sold

This was hard to photograph, but hopefully you get the jist. This is the largest canvas I have painted to date- it is BIG. I spent a lot of time ruminating over the image and the canvas size and finally I decided to get off the pot and just do it! The three Meewasin studies I showed you over the last month led up to this painting. It had been awhile since I painted from my Meewasin reference photos, so the studies helped me feel more confident in tackling this three foot by five foot bad boy.

We are so lucky in Saskatoon to have such a stunning riverbank. The Meewasin trail follows both the east and west side of the river and the bridges connect it. The colours in the fall are spectacular, but it is beautiful in all seasons. Right now it is green and lush. After the Winter and Spring we experienced this year people are out enjoying the parks and paths, making good use of this public space. I hate to think about it, but it won't be long before the colours change and we see the oranges, golds and yellows again.

3 comments:

CallingForth said...

beautiful - well done!
You inspire me….

Barbara Muir said...

Wow! This is really, really beautiful. You so rock!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you so much, both of you! I am quite thrilled with the final result!