Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bargue Drawing #Two- Stage Two

Bargue # Two - Stage Two
graphite on bond paper

I have just completed stage two of my Bargue drawing. At this stage the lights and darks are separated into big forms. You can see that already with only the lightest light (white paper) and a mid-value dark (graphite) the shadow shape is describing the form of the subject. This definitely illustrates the power of separating the lights and the darks. With this limited information we know what this a drawing of a bust of a bearded male even though no specific details have yet been rendered. I love this stage, possibly because I love high contrast. I also find it fascinating that simply by adding a large, even-toned shadow shape suddenly (well, after a few hours of work) a line drawing takes on form and dimension. So cool.

The next step will be to transfer this image to good quality Stonehenge paper.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you doing these at a school or on your own? Looks great!

Nicki said...

Thanks Julie! I am taking a drawing class at Atelier 2302 which just opened this Spring in Saskatoon. I forgot to mention that in this post. It has been a steep learning curve but well worth it so far.

Barbara Muir said...

So amazing Nicki,

Thank you for explaining. I am astounded at your patience. It is also beautiful that you are teaching the rest of us.

XOXO Barbara