Friday, July 19, 2013

Moss Laden Spruce

Moss Laden Spruce
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013

I was just at the lake with my kids and we had a great time on a few bike rides around the town-site of Waskesiu (incidentally bike rides are much more fun now that they are older). I remembered to bring my camera on one of our excursions and I am glad I did because we ended up following an old gravel road between the town and the golf course. We came across a marsh surrounded by a beautiful stand of trees and at one end was a spectacularly crafted beaver dam. Wild daisies were everywhere and a sweet deer was nibbling on the long grass across from us. It was rather idyllic... until the mosquitoes made us crazy!!! I snapped a few quick pictures and then we got the heck out of there! Back at the cabin I sat out on the deck, bug spray nearby, and painted "Moss Laden Spruce" from memory and reminders from the little screen on my camera. It is what I call a pseudo plein air painting!

2 comments:

Hannah Littleton said...

This is really lovely, I wish I could paint in oil! My oil paintings are so flat, yours have so much life in them. I find your artwork really inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Barbara Muir said...

Love it!