Thursday, January 10, 2013

Winter Layers

Winter Layers
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2012
available exclusively at Lifestyles by Darrell Bell Gallery
sold 

Wow, the last two weeks have been a whirlwind! The stomach flu hit me really early on Boxing Day morning and once that passed a few days later I regrouped and got my family ready to attend my cousin's wedding in Regina on New Year's Eve. What a beautiful event and it was so fun to be with my extended family while we brought in 2013. I actually painted two 8x8's for Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery while we were there. As you can see I created an impromptu studio space...


I've become nothing if not dedicated! In this photo I was working on a prairie scene and then the next day I painted, "Winter Layers", which you see at the top. It was inspired by the winter landscape I observed from the passenger seat on our drive to Regina. The entire time I kept wondering how people could find the prairies boring. Yes, they are flat, but not entirely and the array of colours in any given season is remarkable. Even in the winter when most people think there is only white and gray and maybe blue in the sky, there is always infinitely more going on if you just take the time to look. On this particular day I was really excited as I began discovering all of the colours... for two and a half hours my poor family had to listen to me exclaim things like "Oh, look, there is actually teal in the sky! See? Right there, right above those clouds!" and "Hey, look at those shadows- they are lavender!" I also might have given them a little colour tutorial on how the stubble from the cut crops added a pretty yellow compliment to all of the purples and blues of the snow, but I feel a bit geeky now admitting it. (I tried to incorporate some of these colours in "Winter Layers").

Happily my enthusiasm for all things art-related might be rubbing off on my children. Last night we returned  from a vacation in Puerta Vallarta and what did my boys decide to bring home as their souvenirs? Beautiful little animal statues covered in glass beads and oil paintings they "commissioned" by an artist, Pablo, working at our hotel one evening! I stored the little paintings in my carry-on backpack and every time I opened it I got a whiff of oil. What a powerful thing, smell memory. Each time I got a whiff I felt a little pang of longing and it took me time to realize what was going on...I was a tiny bit homesick for my studio and for painting! This morning I woke up really early and could hardly wait to get the kids out the door and to school so I could make my way to my studio. Thankfully it felt as good as I had hoped to be there again.

Thank you so much for keeping up with me in 2012. It was an exciting year and I am curious to see how 2013 unfolds. May this new year bring you and those you love peace and joy.


No comments: