New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Feelin' Sketchy Saturday and Unreal Sky

#5 - A Real Unreal Sky, Waskesiu
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2012
(30 paintings in 30 days- Project II)
sold

I took so many photos last summer and some of the skies I caught were magnificent! The photos weren't of the best quality, but I use my pictures as a reminder and go from there. What struck me was the neon strip of colour at the bottom of the cloud mass... a mind blowing neon pink. The concern is that in a painting it comes off as unreal, but I had to try. Here is the actual photo...


I went to the drop-in drawing class for only 45 minutes this morning, so I didn't come away with much to show. One of my favorite models was working today, so I wish I could have stayed longer.

15 minute pose
© Nicki Ault, 2012

Happy weekend!

4 comments:

Monika Kinner-Whalen / My Sweet Prairie said...

Sweet! Beautiful sky. Reminds me to go through all my old photos... I am sure I have many I've forgotten about. : )
ps - great to see you Thursday!
~Monika

Barbara M. said...

Love the painting and the drawing. I think this kind of sky only comes off as unreal if people don't go outside. I see spectacular and over the top skies all the time. Another factor is the skill of the painter. And in this case you have consummate skill, and have never painted a scene I didn't love. And...paintings are paintings and don't even have to be real. Right?

Miss you.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Monika,

I have sooo many photos... it is so easy to snap like crazy with digital cameras. I remember being so frugal with film!

Nicki

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

It's true, if you pay attention to your surroundings, hopefully a sky like this is recognizable.

XO Nicki