Friday, January 28, 2011

Waskesiu Sky.... and what are you doing tonight?

Waskesiu Sky
10 x 10"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2011 
sold

I went to the studio last week and had a blast painting three canvases- all skies. This is the first one I did. I love creating skies with thick swipes of paint and somewhat unexpected colour. For these three pieces I began with a solid ground of Cadmium Orange (in acrylic). I was very conscious of leaving bits of the orange popping through here and there. I love the energy it gives the painting. I'll show the other two over the next few days.

Tonight is the opening of "Branching Out", a group show I was invited to be a part of at Willow Studio. I think there are about thirty artists participating. We were invited to submit a large piece of artwork with the theme of trees. I submitted "Enchanted", and in fact, the owner loved my grid of small work at the Open Studio last November (which is where she introduced herself to me), so she said I was welcome to submit up to 16 of my small tree related pieces. I ended up taking 10. Fingers crossed that this exposure will bring new contacts... or even a sale!

Anyway, if you are in or near Saskatoon, the opening starts at 7:00 and the address is 148, 2nd Ave. N. I'll be there with a couple of my best pals sipping wine and dreaming of the furniture and decor I wish I had!  

4 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love the sky Nicki,

Congratulations on the show. Fingers crossed, (oops Mike Dooley says not to say that) visualizing (better) big sales. I am going to meet you soon!

XOBarbara

Unknown said...

Love your skies and fluffy, slightly sassy clouds! I'm so happy that you were INVITED to submit work to a show. That is awesome. I know this show will open more doors for you and I can feel it in my bones...you will makes sales!

-Don said...

Your work is so good that I'm confident new doors will open from this show. I wish I lived nearer to Saskatoon so I could come check it out. Have fun!

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Ooooh, you're not supposed to cross your fingers? Nuts! I better stop!

I'm glad you like this sky. It was fun to paint.

Nicki XO



Hi Sheila,

Yes, it does kind of sound all grown up and fancy-like to be "invited"... I'm not sure it really is though.

We'll see what comes of it all.

Thanks for stopping by.

Nicki



Hi Don,

Thanks! I hope what you say is true. We'll see. I'm just happy to get my name "out there" as much as possible.

Nicki