Friday, October 19, 2018

September Lines

September Lines
20 x 20"
oil on panel
© Nicki Ault, 2018
All Rights Reserved
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

The opening at the gallery last night was lots of fun despite a glitchy elevator situation. People came, people laughed, people enjoyed the art... and some pieces sold including this little landscape of mine. To be honest this is not an accurate photo, but it is the best I could get. The sky is actually more purple than blue and the wheat field really glows in the light. 

I was extraordinarily touched by a friend who, with tears in her eyes, purchased "September Lines" last night. She told me that this image was exactly a moment she remembered experiencing. The painting represented "the moment" she held in her memory and her reaction to it was intense and emotional. I did not ask her what it reminded her of because I honestly felt like it was so personal that a busy gallery was not the place to ask her to elaborate. Also, it was quite likely none of my business.

I am continually and profoundly motivated by reactions like these where someone connects to the light, energy, mood and emotion I try to portray through my art using landscape as a subject. It has become a real driving force. And I am grateful.