Saturday, July 11, 2015

Fires In Northern Saskatchewan

Smoke Haze Over Waskesiu
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013
sold

This is a sad and difficult time for my beloved province. Our northern communities are making history, but in a way that is far from desirable. The largest ever mass evacuations have taken place. Thousands of people have been displaced from their homes- forced away from their communities and unimaginably asked to leave pets behind. Why? Because fire is ripping through the northern old growth forest and endangering everything in its path. It is a scary, sad and desperate time. The most recent update says that the fires may not actually be extinguished until the first snow flies. That is not nearly, remotely, ever-so-slightly soon enough. I am not sure there has ever been a time in my life that I wished money was no object. I want to do something for these families to make this extraordinarily difficult time in their lives easier. I am at a loss.

Smoke from these extensive fires has made its way to my hometown, Saskatoon, and remarkably, further south into the United States. Outdoor sports events have actually been cancelled when the air quality is so unacceptable. To put it into perspective we are five to six hours away from where the fires are actually burning.

If you recall, two years ago I went on a painting and canoe trip to the La Ronge area in northern Saskatchewan. Well, that is where the fires are burning. There and further north. I recently heard that there is now a "Lynx" fire... I can only assume that that means there is a fire at Lynx Lake which was the first lake we crossed, then Duck Lake and finally Sulphide Lake to get to our home base for the canoe trip. I am very worried about the fishing camp we stayed at and the wonderful man, Vern Studer, who owned and ran it. What will happen to his family-run business and all of the history in his home-made museum?

getting ready to "set sail" on Lynx Lake

Lori (assistant guide) and Vern Studer (owner of camp)

 Studer Homestead Museum
Sulphide Lake

  Rain, we need you... for days on end and with no lightening. Please come and bring your friends.

 The Jack Pine On Lynx Lake, La Ronge
48 x 30:
acrylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2014
available

1 comment:

Barbara Muir said...

My thoughts and heart are with you Nicki. We've been hearing these stories and it is so awful. Our news says that the smoke has even reached Toronto -- which is almost unimaginable.

I love your painting.

I wish we all had enough wealth to do something.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara