Tuesday, June 9, 2015

King's Island, Waskesiu

King's Island, Waskesiu
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2015
available exclusively at Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery

A couple of weekends ago, when I went for a quick retreat to Waskesiu, I decided to head to South Bay to paint a full view of King's Island. It was just me, a large family of Canada geese, a gigantic black raven and a dead fish on the shore. So very serene and tranquil. I painted a little 6x6 that I still haven't posted yet, but it looks like this. I liked the 6x6 so much that I decided to use it as a study to paint this 8x8 version for the Lifestyles store.

King's Island is named for Prime Minister MacKenzie King who had a cabin on the mainland looking at this island. I don't believe that cabin is still there. I have painted this island only once before from shots taken on the boat, so they were partial island images. Below is one of them...

West End, King's Island
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2013
sold

King's Island is the only island on Waskesiu Lake, so it deserves some decent props for being a unique place to picnic and explore.

No comments: