Thursday, October 23, 2014

Denouement

Denouement
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel

Last week I was rummaging around in the studio and I found two remarkably bad, unfinished plein air paintings- both of grassy, marshy landscapes. Oooh they stunk. Not wanting to throw them away, I decided to use these boards to play around in an attempt to have fun with my paints because, sadly, I have not been having much fun in the studio lately. A couple of friends recently suggested I try to paint with larger brushes, so on this relatively small 12 x 12" cradled panel I used a 1 1/4 inch brush almost exclusively. It's possible they were thinking I should be more radical than that, but I would normally use a half inch brush for this size board, maybe smaller. It seemed like a stretch to me. It was fun, I actually smiled a bit while I painted! And I like the result much more than the miserable painting that lies beneath!  

No comments: