Friday, January 13, 2012

Sunlit Meadow

Sunlit Meadow
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011
sold

The other day I realized I had never put this painting on my blog. It is one of the small boards I did on my plein air painting getaway to Waskesiu Lake, P.A.N.P. this past September. I drove to my favorite painting location within the Park where the Spruce River winds out of the forest into a small clearing by a meadow and picnic area. To get this angle of the glowing grass behind the stand of  Birch trees I had to set up in front of a not-so-scenic part of the picnic area.... the outhouse! The palette is simple, but I think the contrast makes this little piece sing.

6 comments:

suzanneberry said...

in my opinion this is one of your best paintings ever nicki! i am in love with this! is it for sale and how much are you asking?

Nicki said...

Wow, thanks Suzanne!!! It is for sale... I'll email you - I've been wanting to anyway. It is $100.00 and I it's also now in my Daily Paintworks Gallery where it has been getting lots of hits. I am glad I remembered to show it!

Nicki

Anonymous said...

Nicki this has a beautiful childlike magic about it! the simplicity in terms of colours work so well with this composition. just special!

Nicki said...

Hi Rahina,

What a great compliment! I like the idea of "childlike magic".

Have a great weekend!

Nicki

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I opened this up and was awestruck. So wonderful, the colour, the superb handling of light, the gutsy use of colour. A knock out.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Thank you, thank you! It is quite a dramatic little piece. The trees started out much lighter with some mauve/gray shades as well (you can still see a bit of that colour at the edges of the trees). Going darker and simpler made a huge difference in the end.

Nicki XO