Saturday, December 10, 2011

Feelin' Sketchy Saturday

chalk and charcoal drawing

I went to the drop-in drawing session this morning and I'm not thrilled with my results, so I also found an old drawing from about ten years ago to show you. Obviously I didn't have time to finish it, but I think it looks cool anyway.

Here are two sketches from this morning. I'm not sure why, but everything I drew today was small and not placed well on the page. I am also finding myself a bit frustrated because the lighting is very bright (no spot-lights) which means I really have to search hard for contrast. It is especially difficult when the view or angle of the pose is like what I had today...

 10 minute pencil sketch

...it's hard to make it interesting. And this one was no better...

25 minute pencil sketch

Oh well, as I have said before and I'm sure I will say again, they can't all be winners!

6 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Nicki, you should frame that first one. It would look so cool! It is fabulous. And thanks for sharing the others. Life drawing is the greatest challenge!

Judy Wood said...

Kim said exactly what I was going to suggest about framing. That one's special.

Nicki said...

Hmmm, I'll think about that Kim. It's funny what you can find in the archives; sometimes there are little gems that have been forgotten.

I hope you are enjoying the holiday season... 2 more weeks until Christmas Eve!

Nicki said...

Hi Judy. A second vote for framing! Now I'm really thinking about it.

I hope Sun Dog went well for you and that you have since gotten some rest.

Barbara Muir said...

Great drawings and I agree with Kim.
I find drawing in a sketch book is hard, but I don't like carrying a heavy drawing board. So I discovered that with a piece of foamcore as a board, and a $2.99 (maybe they're $5.99 now) bond paper pad, and some clamps I could slip the whole thing into a carrying case, and draw without the constrictions of the book.

I think your work is wonderful and I'm proud of you for getting up to go on Saturday morning. Wow!

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Those are good tips. I also find that I want to draw the subject over a longer period of time, to really develop it, but the longest sitting at these drawing sessions has been 30 minutes. I think I am going to spend a Saturday morning at the studio sketching from a photo and try to develop a more complete study.

XO Nicki