Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wolf Willow

Wolf Willow #2
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011  

sold

Here is a little prairie painting I haven't shown you yet. I did it just before the show at Agar's and it is a scene from the Saskatoon Natural Grasslands. Next week I am going there on a field trip with Tommy's class and I am on a mission to find out about these burnt orange/red bushes.

As a side note, my sister sent me a link to one of the most wonderful stories I have heard in a while. It involves fascinating and imaginative paper sculptures, random acts of kindness and an intriguing mystery. Here is the link...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

6 comments:

-Don said...

The brush strokes in Wolf Willow are wonderful. I love how you use them to guide my eyes into the composition. AND, those colors! Mmmm-mmm!

I believe I may have enjoyed those paper sculptures as much as you did. I especially enjoyed the play on words on the last one of libraries being expensive/expansive. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing the link. (BTW, you may want to check your code with the link. There's some extraneous info that I had to delete to get to the true link.)

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

Thanks for taking note of the brushstrokes and the way they move your eye through the composition.

I think I have the link fixed up now, I appreciate that you pointed that out. It is a very intriguing story. I think the sculptures are beyond amazing. They tell such a story, each and every one of them. The mystery of it all is the best part. I hope the secret artist always remains anonymous.

Nicki

suzanneberry said...

so beautiful nicki! love the composition and the space in the front that leads your eye right through to the back and then out on the right hand side. beautifully painted!! off to check out that link! thanks for sharing.

Nicki said...

Suzanne, thanks! I appreciate that you took the time to articulate what you enjoy about this painting. I hope you enjoyed the link. The paper sculptures are intricate and utterly delightful. I want one left on my porch!

Judy Adamson said...

Hi Nicki - I can only repeat what others have said about your lovelt painting but also want to thank you for sharing the link about the paper sculptures. It's so extraordinary, and heartwarming, I've put the link on my blog too!

Nicki said...

Thank you Judy, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the link. I hope your readers like it, too.