Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Natural Grasslands

Natural Grasslands
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011  

sold

I am lovin' the prairies. I painted this for the art show at Agar's. I used one of the recent photos I took at the Saskatoon Natural Grasslands which is on the east side of the river in Silverspring. Apparently Saskatoon is one of the few places in the world where a natural grassland area is found within a city. It is home to more than 290 plants and animals and represents 10,000 years of evolution! (I got this info. from a sign near one of the main path entrances.) Somewhere in this area there is a fossil rock which I will try to get a photo of when I go back with the Grade Two class for a field trip in October. 

I love my city.

6 comments:

-Don said...

This has a wonderful composition and some sweet color choices. I see a lot of confidence and joy in your brush strokes. I can feel the love.

-Don

Barbara Muir said...

I love the grasslands paintings. We have a large park near our house with wetlands and woods. It's partially why I love living here. So glad you love your city. I love mine too, despite its current difficulties.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks, Don. That means a lot- that you can feel the love I have for this place through by brushstrokes and colour choices.

Nicki



I'd love to see your neighborhood someday, Barbara. I think you have posted photos of that park from walks you have taken. Toronto is a wonderful place and I look forward to visiting again, I just don't know when that will be.

Nicki XO

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

I love it here too!!! Have you been seeing the northern lights?
Monika

Pierre Raby said...

Nicki, I enjoy looking at these cropped landscapes, so rich in colors and textures. We feel your connection with nature and surrounding. Beautiful.

Nicki said...

Hi Monika, yes, aren't the skies beautiful on a clear dark night?
-N.



Pierre, thanks for your sweet words. I have been loving this new subject and have enjoyed exploring a different palette to express these prairie scenes. Thanks you for taking note of the fact that they are cropped landscapes. I like zeroing in on a particular aspect as opposed to doing a panoramic view.

Nicki