Saturday, July 23, 2011

Soil Sample

Soil Sample
6 x 6"
oil on board
(after) 
© Nicki Ault, 2011  

This is the last of the Adirondack chair paintings from the three days I spent at Emma Lake. The class was done on Sunday morning and after lunch people packed up and headed for home. I decided to stay and paint because it was such a beautiful afternoon. This one is not a favorite, but as I have said before, they can't all be winners. I also dropped it face down on the ground when I tried to move the chair back into the shade. That is where the name comes from... there are actually little bits of dirt, sand and plant material stuck in the paint. I worked on this one a bit more in the studio because the original just seemed plain lame. Here is what it looked like before I tweaked it:
 (before)
Now that I am looking at them again I am beginning to like the first version! Well, I shouldn't say "like", because I don't like either, but I don't hate it as much as I thought I did. And this is my favorite section of the after version (or should I say least hated section):

Anyhoo...
To compensate you for the time you took to look at my mediocre painting I will share recommendations for two very different creative endeavors that went much better than mine...
Tonight I went to a movie with my sister. I didn't really know anything about it, but she had heard it was funny. And it was. In fact it is was side-splitting, can't breathe, tears-running-down-my-cheeks funny. Do yourself a favour, go see Bridesmaids and enjoy the scene where Maya Rudolph is saying "It's happening!"

On a more serious note, if you are in need of a good book you should pick up "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I brought it to read at Emma Lake. I hadn't heard of it before and I don't know why I picked it out of all the choices at the bookstore, but I am so glad I did. It was excellent. And I just found out it has been made into a movie.

I have some larger work to share with you soon based on some from my "30 paintings in 30 days" project, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Judy Adamson said...

I agree, Nicki, that the pre-tweaked version is a bit 'flat' somehow but I really like the second version - you've somehow breathed life into it.

suzanneberry said...

actually, i love both of these. the pre-tweaked version is wonderful in it's starkness and makes a statement. the tweaked version is lush and quite lovely. we're so hard on ourselves aren't we? i love the perspective, the land mass in the back and where it's placed right at the top of the canvas, they are both great paintings nicki!

-Don said...

I was getting ready to type my comment and decided to read the other two comments first. Somehow, Suzanne has said everything I was going to say - almost exactly!

I've had a lot of friends tell me the same thing you did about Bridesmaids. My wife and I plan on seeing it soon. As for The Help, I am intrigued by the write-up on Ms. Stockett's website. Thanks for the recommendation.

Happy Creating!

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Judy,

I agree that the second one has a bit more life. I popped in pure shots of Cad. Red as a compliment to all the green and also added both lighter and darker areas. It helped I guess.

Nicki



Thanks Suzanne,

I appreciate your thoughtful response. You almost had me convinced! ;o) It is true that we are hardest on ourselves, but that is how we push ourselves to improve... maybe?

Nicki



Hi Don,

Getting off easy by piggy-backing on Suzanne's comment are ya??? ;o)

Oh my, that movie was funny! I would compare it to how much I enjoyed "The Hangover", which was a lot! The frat boy in me really enjoyed that show! By the laughter of the men in the audience at "Bridesmaids" I would say it is far from a chick flick and you would likely enjoy it.

The book was excellent and one that I had trouble putting down. A very well told story with rich, interesting characters and a new perspective on that time in history.

Nicki