Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Girl Unfinished #2

Girl #2 (unfinished)
pencil on paper
© Nicki Ault, 1999
Same model as the previous post, but different day. I like this one more. The last one has a stiffness to it and I prefer how I can capture the detail with pencil. Both would have been done in roughly two hours... clearly not enough time to get the job done!

I just took a break from packing and hope to be on the road in about two hours. I always get this wave of panic and sadness when I leave my boys, but once I am on the open road with my tunes cranked I know I will begin to relax. When I was at a class at Emma Lake last year a few of us were sitting around at the end of the day and one of the ladies asked why each of us had come and why some liked it so much they had returned. "Is it the love!?" she asked. Everyone had varying responses from it being on their "bucket list", to wanting to learn from the instructor. My response was that it is the only place I have found where I can just be "Me". 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Nicki...I'm really impressed with these sketches. Faces are so challenging are they? I'm in love with "Found Sky". It is deep, a little dark and ominous and has a great title.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I like that "me"(you), and call her friend. Like the drawing too. It's good to know where you feel at home. We are so defined by our roles, but painter is certainly one of the big ones.

You go girl.

XO Barbara

Painting Tips and Tricks said...

The girl looks great though it is still unfinished. I could tell this would turn out to be a wonderful work of art! I like how you did the eyes. Thanks for sharing this!

Kim Rempel said...

Nicki, this is lovely! I hear you about being filled with sadness/panic! That is *completely* me. I was just reading about a famous artist who painted at Emma Lake...David Alexander maybe? Well, it seems to be steeped in a great art history/mystique. Hope you enjoy your work there ; ) Look forward to seeing it when you post again.

Mikko Tyllinen said...

wonderful drawing Nicki!

Artist said...

this is amazing for two hours!! and i don't think the other one is stiff at all! they are both very beautiful and you have the shadows and highlights on the face down to detail! great work!

Nicki said...

Hi Sheila,

Yes, faces are difficult and challenging... maybe why I am becoming more and more intrigued with them.

Thank you for your comments on Found Sky- I am happy to hear your reaction to it.

Nicki

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara, dear friend. Thank you, yes, I would love to share the Kenderdine Campus with all my blogger friends. It is a wonderful place and ".. if I had a million dollars..." I'd take you all!

XO Nicki

Nicki said...

Thank you Daniel, so good to see a comment from you again. Thank you for letting me know about your positive reaction to this drawing.

Nicki

Nicki said...

Hi Kim,

Yes, David Alexander is going to be the artist in residence for a two week period this summer. I am so tempted to apply, but two weeks is too long for me at this stage. Maybe someday.

You would love it there... I dream of a day when some of my bog friends can join me. Sigh.

Nicki

Nicki said...

Thank you Mikko!

Nicki said...

Hi Artist! How wonderful to see a comment from you. I appreciate your kind words, thank you! And I am glad you find them both enjoyable.

N.