Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stand Tall

Stand Tall
8x8
oil on board
sold

Here is the fourth and last painting I did on my second day of plein air painting with a limited palette at the workshop this summer. This one was done on a gessoed board with a black latex paint ground. Back at the studio I realized that it was all over very dark, so I added some rich browns to lighten it up the tree trunks on the right hand side as well as some lighter green highlights on the branches. Some might say that this is still somewhat on the illustrative side, but I like it... so I am leaving it!

I revisited the limited palette and the tree tops a couple of days after I did these four. I used a different brush and mixed more subdued/gray colours. It has a different energy for sure, but you will have to wait to see it! Thanks so much for all of your kind comments on my last post. I really appreciate the feedback.

5 comments:

-Don said...

Another nice one, Nicki. I love that you are pushing yourself outside your comfort zone and experimenting. It's fun, Isn't it?

-Don

Celeste Bergin said...

Hi Nicki! I haven't paged back through your blog to see if you are influenced by the group of seven (canadian painters)--this is what I am reminded of looking at your beautiful paintings.

Judy Adamson said...

I love your tree paintings, Nicki! I wonder whether your sky/cloud paintings were leading up to them?

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

There is something wildly energetic about this. It expresses all of the emotions feel when I look at trees. the colours are lovely and pure.

Super work.

XOBarbara

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

I have been enjoying myself. It feels good to be experimenting and more importantly, it feels good to let the stress of the last year fall away.

Thanks,

Nicki



Hi Judy,

Nice to hear from you again. I hadn't thought about it, but it is possible that the sky paintings were leading up to the tree tops. Hmmm...

N.


Hi Celeste,

Thanks you for taking the time to stop by my blog. And thank you so much for your wonderful compliment! I am a huge fan of The Group of Seven. In particular, Tom Thomson, A.Y. Jackson, Fred Varley and J.E.H. MacDonald.

Nicki



Hi Barbara,

That is wonderful... I am so glad you had that reaction and that you feel my painting expresses those emotions for you!

XO Nicki