Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Ode to the Prairies

Ode to the Prairies
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

I have a big painting underway on my easel right now that is loosely based on the field area of this little 8x8. The sky is entirely different, however. It is moody and brewing whereas the sky in this little gem is fresh and light. I really love the skiff of pale water in the distance, but I am not sure it is reading as well on a larger scale. And the division of colours in the land is not working the same way on a 40x30. Also, that dark purply-blue colour didn't come out right on the big canvas.

Hmmm, maybe the painting on my easel is more "loosely based" than I thought! I guess I have a few things to think about when I go to the studio today!

No comments: