New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Sunday, November 19, 2017: Studio on 20th Open Studio Art Show and Sale. The studio where I paint will be open to the public from 11 am - 5 pm on this one afternoon only. Current work by our eleven artists will be exhibited and available to purchase. Please come and bring a friend! We are located at 236A 20th Street West (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant); not wheelchair accessible.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Studio Tasks

painting edges
© Nicki Ault, 2017

I didn't work at the studio at all last week as my son was home sick. I am so grateful that I have the flexibility with my schedule that I can make last minute changes to my plans if someone needs me.

We had a lovely May long weekend getting the yard cleaned up and spending time together, but I was ready to get my head back in the game today when everyone was healthy and went where they were supposed to go!

Yesterday I spent the first bit of the morning scrolling through Instagram, then making a post of my own. Check it out... take a "Shelfie" (a photo of your bookshelf) and post it with #ownabookgiveabook. McDonald's Canada has partnered with First Book Canada to get 20,000 books into the hands of kids in need. They will donate a book for every "Shelfie" posted!

I have been back-and-forth on the painting edges issue and I finally made my decision. I have always painted the edges of my 6x6's but it is a tedious task so awhile ago I decided to stop. But then I felt guilty and would offer it if a person wanted- especially if they weren't planning to frame right away. Well, at the Mother's Day Tea I sold three 6x6's to one person; two had edges painted and one didn't. She actually didn't notice, but of course I did, so I said I would match it to the others. The truth is, it really does look better when the edges are painted on the little ones. So now that I am being honest with myself, I am committing to that task. Twelve paintings, two coats and two hours later, the job was done. It's times like these that a studio assistant would come in handy... or at least a cabana boy to fan me and bring me beverages while I do the tedious studio tasks.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I love how your edges look painted white, and debated that for my last show, but decided to go with black as I have for awhile.

The sponge brush is a gift from the gods in this process. Love all of your paintings. They look amazing, and I am always inspired by you.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

I will have to try a sponge brush, although I have an old, old brush that is the perfect width for this particular job and I don't use it for anything else. I am a bit superstitious about changing!

XO N.