Monday, May 15, 2017

Reimagined Sky (Painting Makeover)

Reimagined Sky
(after)
36 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold

Before I get into this painting makeover, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who attended our Mother's Day Tea at the studio yesterday! It really has become a fun event... and very busy! Your support is genuinely appreciated.

Okay, this painting has been a thorn in my side about three times over! The below "before" image is actually the second run I had at it in 2016; the original was painted in 2015 (see bottom image). Hopefully last week's repainting makes the third time a charm!

The original was quite harsh and intense- all of the edges of the clouds were sharp and the foreground grasses were soooo dark. In my second go-at-it I softened everything overall, but it still didn't sit right with me. The area at the horizon line looked very muddy and I never did like the yellow sky. When I originally tackled this canvas I had given myself the challenge of painting a big sky without using blue. Hence the yellow and purple scheme. The only part I ever really loved was the middle-ground field which I have hardly touched from the original in 2015 and, in fact, I like that portion even more in the final makeover version (above). It now seems to glow and radiate the sunlight. In the most recent repainting, I basically overhauled every other aspect of the thing! I created a new sky and slough and I activated the front grasses with more variation in colour and pops of light. I also spent time softening some of the edges of the grass so now it doesn't look cut-out.

Reimagined Sky
(before)
36 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2016

Reimagined Sky
(original - before the above before!)36 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2015

That was a doozy of a painting makeover, but I am so much happier to have it hanging in the studio now. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, so if you have time, please leave a comment.

4 comments:

Sandra Busby said...

Wow, what a huge difference from first to last! I think you've nailed it!

Barbara Muir said...

I like watching your progress. I think the final one is much more joyful, although all of them are beautiful to me. Your work is amazing.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

It is a huge difference... for the better I believe! :D
Thanks Sandra!

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara- yes, the last/final one has a better mood to it. The others have an irritating energy- maybe it is the yellow sky.

XO N.