Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Spring Fever (Painting Makeover)

Spring Fever
(after)
16 x 20"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017
available

These days I am reworking a stack of paintings at the studio. I have several pieces that I just don't love, in fact, despise is the word that comes to mind to describe how I feel about them. I am making a last ditch effort to rework each of these canvases; in other words they are getting makeovers. Those that are not elevated in my emotional connection to them from despise to love are headed for the chipper!

"Spring Fever" is the reincarnated version of a much more bland prairie scene (see below) called "Through The Grasslands". I feel like it has been given new life by fresh green colours of Spring. Those harsk, dark, awkward, red branchy shrubs are gone with only a hint of them remaining. The distant horizon is softer and the overall feel is no longer remorse. Now, to me, it looks like how the air smells in Spring!

I think I love it.

 Through The Grasslands
(before)
© Nicki Ault, 2015

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hey Nicki,

I get it. I am in the same mood, and just painted out a big painting I've been
working on for months. I love both versions of this painting. And also love what you've done. Bottom line, we have to be happy with what we do. I love what you do.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Oh, that is hard when you spend lots of time on a piece and then end up painting over, but, yes, we have to be happy. I am sick of looking at these ones I am "making over"- it was either change them or pitch them!

XOXO N.