Friday, August 12, 2016

The Riffle, Waskesiu River

The Riffle, Waskesiu River
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2016
sold

I love painting this river. It is amazing how it has changed over the last few years. Not that long ago it was so high and rushing so fast that there was no tall grass at all to be seen near the edges let alone in the middle of the river. And now the rocks and "riffle" are exposed. There is a beautiful hike I have done with my kids that starts along one side and goes deep into the forest, then comes back toward the river to a boardwalk that passes over the river and continues on the other side. One section of the trail has several signs that warn of wolves. I have seen wolves on two occasions in all my days at the lake and one time actually was at the edge of the forest along the road approaching the river. Makes me think those signs on the trail are legit!

No comments: