Sunday, May 14 - Mother's Day Tea Show and Sale: taking place at Studio On 20th from 12-4p.m. Our studio will be open to the public on this afternoon to exhibit the most current work by artists Bridget Aitken, Nicki Ault, Kathy Bradshaw, Jan Corcoran, Ann Donald, Jane Harington, Miranda Jones, Brenda Kennedy, Karen Maguire, Amira Wasfy and Carol Wylie. We are located at 236A 20th Street Between Aves. B and C (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant).

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery in Saskatoon. For a limited time several of my large oil paintings are also available at
their new street front gallery on 21st Street (formally Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery).

Ongoing: a selection of my larger work is available at The Black Spruce Gallery at Northside on Highway 2 just before the turn to Christopher Lake.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Clouds Rising Over Flax And Canola

Clouds Rising Over Flax And Canola
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2016
 sold

This painting is a bit made-up, although inspired by my trip out to Aberdeen last month to check out the fields of canola and flax. I love the lone tree that sits on the border of the two fields.

As usual I am having trouble getting an accurate photo of the colour of the purpley-blue field of flax. I think it is time to investigate getting a new camera. I love how compact my little point-and-shoot Canon Powershot Elph 100 HS is, and it has served me well, but I am wondering if I could be getting truer images with a more professional camera. I don't want to break the bank, however. Any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome. I have heard lots of great things about Canon Rebels (I am a bit of a Canon fan), but really have not been keeping up with the newest cameras out there. Several artists at the studio where I paint have a photographer who comes in every few months to take pictures of their work, but I post on my blog frequently enough that it is not a practical option for me. I would love to know, if you are an artist what kind of camera do you use to get great photos of your work?

4 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I am using a Canon S120, but a friend in Europe was using a very pro camera -- but small.
She photographs her work once a week. Love this.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara, I will have to look into the Canon S120. Glad you like this painting!
Hugs,
N.

Marcela Strasdas said...

I am on the same boat you are, looking for a new camera that gives me true colours.... Curious to know if you have found anything?

Nicki said...

Hi Marcela, I haven't found anything yet, although yet another person has suggested that I get a Canon Rebel. I have to do some research this fall.