Saturday, June 25, 2016

Watching The Night Fall

Watching The Night Fall
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2016
sold

Lots going on these days. Boy is June a busy month! 

I was able to get to the studio on Thursday morning only to discover a dead mouse in the hallway. It was a young one and quite sweet looking as mice go. I felt bad- I wondered if the fumes in the studio were too much for it. It looked like it just called it quits in mid-stride. 

It brought back memories of the teddy bear hamsters I had in first year university. I was taking an oil painting class and my parents let me set up a studio in the basement and that is where I had the hamsters. At that time we used turpentine to soak and clean brushes. My family went away for a few days, so we had a neighbor feed my hamsters. When we got home, she felt so bad... the hamsters had died. I always wondered if somehow it was the fumes from my supplies that did them in. It was quite upsetting- one of the little fellas even had his arm around the other like he was comforting his buddy. I will never forget it.

No comments: